Why live in Cobargo?
W.D. Tarlinton was the first European to explore the Cobargo area when in February 1829 he arrived from Braidwood with a few men and three Aborigines to locate new pastoral land. In 1837 he was granted a squatters licence for Bredbatoura, an area south of Cobargo, and in 1838 a grazing licence. In 1852 he took up residence at Bredbatoura.
In 1840 Alexander Imlay was also granted a squatting licence for Cobargo.
In the 1860s new settlers arrived to take advantage of the luxurious Wattle bark growth in the area. The Wattle bark was stripped and cut and then sent to Sydney and Melbourne to be used in the tanning industry. Cobargo was known as Wattletown and as the Junction for many years because of the location at the junction of the Narira and Bredbatoura Creeks. Dairy started in the 1870s with butter shipped to Sydney from Bermagui in kegs. An enterprising son of W.D. Tarlinton, operated a dairy and cheese making premises, making and selling butter and cheese before the Butter factory and Co-Operative were established in 1901. In 1926 the factory was gutted by fire. It was rebuilt that year and by 1975 was the only specialist butter factory in NSW. Butter production continued until November 1980 when the factory closed due to decreased cream supply caused by bulk milk production.
The 1880\'s saw the improvement of the coast road and the construction of a bridge over Narira Creek and the ensuing growth of the Cobargo Village.
Cobargo today is a rural community with a quirky village atmosphere. The streets are lined with stores exhibiting local craft of leather and pottery. Self sufficiency remains a factor of pride and some are turning their self sufficiency skills into income returning enterprises. Although dairying remains vital to the area other agricultural ventures are emerging such as Vineyards, Lavender, Alpacas and Olives
Real Estate & Design
Cobargo real estate reflects its history. Houses in the village of Cobargo are traditional federation style. While some have been lovingly restored others remain in original condition awaiting new owners to bring them into the 21st century. Areas on the outskirts of Cobargo have had, of late, modern open plan style houses built, which still somehow, fit in with the old world charm of the village.
Similar to Brogo, Cobargo has appeal for those seeking a quieter lifestyle away from the mainstream. Smaller land sizes have appeared on which self designed and built homes have been crafted. While some of these are built from the more traditional materials of brick and tile, others are created from mud brick, local or recycled materials. Lifestyle in Cobargo has an emphasis on the pioneering skill of self sufficiency, honest rural living and creative artisans.
Cobargo is home to a general store and post office, several local artists shops, a service station and the local hotel. Residents travel either to Narooma or Bega for supplies.
Distance from Cities & Transportation
Cobargo is a half hour drive from Bega and an approximate six hour car drive to Sydney. Melbourne is approximately a seven hours drive. State and Interstate bus services to Canberra, Sydney and Melbourne are provided on a daily basis from Bega. The closest airport to Cobargo is located at Merimbula.
Mount Gulaga , formerly known as Mount Dromedary, at 806 metres above sea level, is one of the highest mountains on the south coast. It is located within the Gulaga National Park . Gulaga is the place of ancestral origin within the mythology of the Yuin people, the Aborigine people from the area. Gulaga symbolises the mother and is a basis for Aboriginal spiritual identity, for both Aboriginal women and men. There are several excellent walking tracks up the mountain.
Schools, Education & Institutions
Cobargo has a public primary school for primary aged school children. Catholic, Montessori and Rudolph Steiner primary schools are available in the nearby township of Bega. Cobargo secondary students can attend the Bega High Public School or the South Coast Anglican College.