The construction of the $170 million Bega Valley Health Service has moved another step closer with the appointment of a lead consultant team. Johnstaff Projects has been appointed as project manager and BVN Architects will design the building. This will consequently add value to Bega real estate, offering home owners nearby, upgraded health services. Bega real estate agents are looking forward to the development, and can use the hospital as a selling point. The development will also boost Bega’s population, as new staff will be employed. This will also help Bega real estate agents to sell more houses in the area.
The NSW Government has contributed $10 million towards the Bega Valley Health Service, while the Federal Government has contributed $160 million from its Health and Hospital Fund.
The new hospital facility will provide improved health services including:
• An expanded Emergency Department.
• More critical care beds including Intensive Care Unit and Critical Care Unit.
• Regional orthopaedic services.
• Expanded surgical services with three operating theatres.
• New and expanded acute medical, maternity, paediatrics, rehabilitation, palliative care services.
• Drug and alcohol services.
• An inpatient sub-acute care unit to address the needs of an ageing population and post orthopaedic care requirements.
• A regional inpatient mental health service with 20 mental health beds providing adult acute admission and rehabilitation services and specialist older people’s mental health services.
• A range of clinical support services including medical imaging, pharmacy and pathology with the necessary communication, medical record, information technology and Telehealth infrastructure to support 21st century health care across rural locations.
• Teaching and training in medicine, nursing and allied health care.
Construction is expected to start in mid-2013 and to be completed in early-2016.